Task Force on Workforce Readiness
In March 2015, the VSBA Board of Directors created the VSBA Task Force on Workforce Readiness to study how career and technical education programs are being implemented in Virginia school divisions and how these programs are preparing the state’s future workforce. In subsequent meetings, the task force members established the following mission of the task force:
The mission of the VSBA Task Force on Workforce Readiness is to support school
divisions by identifying and promoting workforce readiness opportunities that enable
students to be prepared to succeed in a new economy.
- Conduct a statewide survey of Virginia school divisions on workforce readiness programs and initiatives
- Identify and share best practices
- Develop and implement statewide education and advocacy efforts
- Hold a spring VSBA Hot Topic Conference on workforce readiness
Statewide Survey Results
- In October/November 2015, the task force conducted a statewide survey of public school divisions to gather information Career & Technical Education (CTE) across the Commonwealth.
- 115 of 132 school divisions responded, with balanced statewide representation.
- Survey results are available for download here.
- On January 18, 2016, task force co-chairman Bill Kidd (school board member, Wythe County) and Dr. Tom Brewster (superintendent, Pulaski County) presented the task force findings to the House Education Committee. Full details of this visit are available on the January 18 posting on the VSBA Legislative Update Blog.
An additional priority for the task force has been to involve other key stakeholder groups. As a result, representatives from the following organizations have been active participants in the task force efforts:
- Virginia Association of School Superintendents
- Virginia Chamber of Commerce
- Virginia Department of Education
- Virginia Community College System
- Virginia PTA
- REL Appalachia
Task Force Members
Bill Kidd, co-chairman (Wythe County)
Dr. Tom Brewster, co-chairman (Communities In Schools)
Jarvis Bailey (Fredericksburg City)
Carrie Coyner (Chesterfield County)
Patty Long (Westmoreland County)
Anita Parker (Gloucester County)
Pam Heath (Martinsville City)
Paul Nichols (Mecklenburg County)
Dr. Keith Perrigan (Norton City)
Dr. Greg Smith (Richmond County)
Dr. Chris Stacy (Tazewell County)