VSBA Employment Opportunities
Director of Training and Member Services
Virginia School Boards Association
About the Virginia School Boards Association
Virginia School Boards Association (VSBA), which is in Charlottesville, is a voluntary, nonpartisan organization of Virginia school boards which promotes excellence in public education by providing leadership, advocacy, and support for our members. VSBA has been in existence since 1906 and takes pride in the role we have played in supporting local school boards and school board members for over 116 years. You can obtain more information about the organization at vsba.org.
VSBA’s membership is currently comprised of 131 school boards in Virginia. Each of our member school boards is different, but each shares a passion for educating the children of Virginia.
There is no typical day at VSBA. The VSBA staff is small, and everyone pitches in to make sure everything gets done. The Director of Training and Member Services at the Virginia School Boards Association will play a pivotal role in assisting with training, coordinating trainings and Search Services, conducting research when needed, and traveling for trainings and search services. This role requires someone with a background in association management or school board/school division work and a willingness to learn and adapt to the organization’s needs.
- Collaborate with the training team to design, develop, and deliver training programs for board members.
- Assist in identifying training needs, resources, and best practices to enhance the professional development of members.
- Continuously stay updated on educational trends and innovative training methods to improve the effectiveness of training programs.
Search Services Coordination:
- Assist with Search Services, providing support during the search and hiring process for school boards and divisions.
- Maintain relationships with participating boards and divisions to ensure their needs are met.
- Conduct research on education policy, governance, and related topics to provide valuable insights to the association.
- Analyze data and trends in the education sector to help inform the association’s advocacy efforts and member services.
Be willing and available to travel within the state and occasionally out of state to attend conferences, meetings, and training sessions.
Leverage your background in association management to contribute to the strategic planning, policy development, and overall success of the association.
Collaborate with other departments and work towards achieving the association’s mission and goals.
- Bachelor’s degree in education, public administration, or related field. A master’s degree is a plus.
- Background in association management, school board, or school division work is highly desirable.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to adapt and learn quickly to assist with training programs.
- Research skills and the ability to analyze and synthesize data.
- Proficient in using relevant software and technology for training and research purposes.
- Strong organizational and coordination abilities.
- Willingness to travel as required for the role.
This position offers an exciting opportunity to contribute to the advancement of education and school board governance within the state. The Director of Training and Member Services will work collaboratively with a dedicated team and play a crucial role in supporting the professional growth of association members and the success of school boards and divisions. If you are passionate about education and possess the necessary qualifications, we encourage you to apply and help shape the future of our state’s educational landscape.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits. Salary will be commensurate with experience. VSBA offers excellent health care benefits for employees and their families and provides generous contributions to a retirement plan.
Tell us who you are and how you see yourself fitting into VSBA by submitting, in confidence, a cover letter and resume to Gina Patterson, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.