For Immediate Release
November 13, 2023
Gina Patterson, executive director
434-295-8722 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Annual Convention Brings Together Education Leaders From Across the Commonwealth
Charlottesville, VA – This week, more than 800 school board members, superintendents, division administrators, education officials, and others will attend the Virginia School Boards Association (VSBA) Annual Convention in Williamsburg, VA from November 15-17. The convention provides school division leadership the opportunity to learn about nationwide and statewide trends, network with colleagues from around the Commonwealth, and bring back the latest in best practices to their home school divisions.
- Professional Development – More than 45 workshops, clinics and critical issues sessions focused on topics such as board governance, developing local capacity, school law, school construction, advocacy, teacher recruitment and retention, educational trends, and energy/sustainability practices.
- Exhibitors Scholarship – The scholarship, funded by exhibiting companies at the VSBA’s Annual Convention, was made available for Spring 2024 graduating seniors who had served as student school board representatives. Scholarship winners will be announced during the opening general session at the convention.
- High School Video Contest – The annual student video contest challenged high school students across the Commonwealth to create a 30-second video around the theme of “We Are Better United Than Divided.” The winners will be announced at the opening general session of the convention and the videos will be shown to the convention’s attendees.
- Exhibition of School Architecture – From ambience and multi-functionality to sustainable design and security, there is a direct relationship between good design and effective teaching and learning. The VSBA Exhibition of School Architecture gives attendees the opportunity to see this these designs in action.
- School Board Clerks Workshop – School board clerks will have the opportunity to gather with colleagues, in person, and learn about important topics that affect a clerk’s duties from day to day. Topics that will be covered include: Turning Average Into Action with Mr. Joseph Washington, Top Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Being a Board Clerk with Micah Schwartz, the Importance of Cross Training with Kim Hodges, and Robert’s Rules of Order with Pakapon Phinyowattanachip.
General Session Presentations:
Liz Huntley – Liz is a committed child advocate and passionate litigation attorney who practices law at Lightfoot, Franklin & White, LLC in Birmingham, Alabama. On a regular basis she serves as a motivational speaker throughout the country and shares her inspirational story of an Alabama woman who overcame nightmarish events and tremendous adversity during her childhood to become a successful attorney, motivational speaker, and member of the Auburn University Board of Trustees.
Dr. David Jeck – Dr. Jeck served as the Fauquier County Public Schools Superintendent. He spent the previous five years as the superintendent of Greene County Public Schools. His career in education has included time as a coach, teacher, assistant principal, principal, and assistant superintendent for instruction. During his ten years as Fauquier’s superintendent, the school division achieved record-high graduation rates. Dr. Jeck has spent the past two years writing his book aimed at helping school leaders stand up for teachers. The book is called “Courageous School Leadership.”
Sarita Maybin – Raised as a “military brat” moving from country to country, Sarita mastered how to make fast friends and finesse stressful situations. She quickly learned that it wasn’t just what you say, but how you say it that matters. In her 20+ year career as a professional speaker, this former university dean has made it her mission to motivate others to embrace positivity, even amid the challenges of our ever-changing high-tech times. During her career Sarita has spoken in all 50 states. She wrote the book on how to answer the perplexing question: If You Can’t Say Something Nice, What DO You Say?
The complete VSBA Annual Convention schedule, along with speaker and presentation details, is available at www.vsba.org/meetings-conferences/conferences/annual-convention/.
About the Virginia School Boards Association
The Virginia School Boards Association, a voluntary, nonpartisan organization of Virginia school boards, promotes excellence in public education through advocacy, training, and services. The Association offers conferences, information, training, and counseling designed to meet the needs of the Commonwealth’s educational leaders.