Reporters and local media outlets play an important role in public education. School division leaders rely on responsible reporting by local media representatives so that our community members receive timely information about division initiatives and programs. Considering the impact that media coverage can have on community attitudes and beliefs, the Media Honor Roll was created to recognize fair and balanced reporting about our schools and Virginia’s public education system.
Each year, in the early Fall, the VSBA Media Honor Roll recognizes media representatives in three categories: print, radio, and television. Criteria for honorees include the following:
- Makes the effort to get to know the superintendent and board chair.
- Understands the division’s mission and goals.
- Reports school news in a manner that is fair, accurate, and balanced.
- Gives a high-profile position to good news about schools.
- Regularly visits the schools, attends board meetings, etc.
- Maintains a policy of “no surprises” by sharing information with school representatives.
Please note that in addition to submitting individual reporters, you also can submit entire stations or newspapers. The deadline for receipt of the submission form and resolution has passed.
Later this year, VSBA will publish the Media Honor Roll in the VSBA Newsletter to recognize those honored through this program. We also will send you personalized certificates electronically that are suitable for presentation to reporters at a board meeting.
For additional information, please contact email@example.com or 434-295-8722.
Participation in VSBA initiatives and observances is optional. Any related materials from the Association are shared as suggested ideas and resources for implementation. Member school boards may choose not to participate locally.
Congratulations to our 2023 honorees:
- Alleghany Highlands
- The Alleghany Journal
- The Recorder
- Caroline County
- Adele Uphaus, Free Lance Star
- Ted Schubel, B101.5
- Culpeper County
- Culpeper Media Network
- Falls Church City
- Emily Leayman, Patch
- Falls Church News Press
- The Lasso, Meridian High School Newspaper
- Gloucester County
- Melany Slaughter, Reporter, Gloucester/Mathews Gazette Journal
- Halifax County
- David Conner II, The News & Record
- Nick Long, WHFL 95.3
- Hampton City
- Katie Collett, WAVY-TV 10/FOX 43
- King and Queen County
- Country Courier
- Rappahannock Times
- Lexington City
- Hope Huger, The News Gazette
- Louisa County
- Destini Harris, NBC29
- Isaac Parrish, The Central Virginian
- John Harvey, The Daily Progress
- Madison McNamee, NBC12
- Martinsville City
- Monique Holland, Martinsville Bulletin
- Mathews County
- Charles Koenig, Gloucester-Mathews Gazette-Journal
- New Kent County
- Andre Jones, New Kent/Charles City Chronicle
- Rob Johnson, New Kent/Charles City Chronicle
- Newport News City
- WTKR News 3
- Petersburg City
- Sean Robertson, Sports Reporter, WTVR-TV CBS 6 News
- Prince George County
- Chris Powell and the Social Media Class of 2022-23, Prince George High School Social Media Class
- Wayne Covil, CBS 6 WTVR-TV
- Radford City
- Duke Carter, WSLS 10
- Heather Bell, Radford News Journal
- Janay Reece, WDBJ 7
- Smyth County
- Linda Burchette, Smyth County News & Messenger
- Stephanie Porter-Nichols, Smyth County News & Messenger
- Stafford County
- Adele Uphaus, Free Lance Star
- Ted Schubel, Town Talk, B 101.5
- Nick Minock, WJLA