VACORP continues to prepare for challenges its members face in light of the COVID-19 threat. In order to best serve you during this time, we are placing resource information related to this threat in one location – a new link on the front page of our website, www.VACORP.org. Here, you will find updated coverage information and insight on what we are doing as the situation evolves. In addition, you will find links to other respected authorities, such as VDH, CDC and WHO, which are providing the latest data available on the virus outbreak. Please check these websites for updates during this challenging time.
VACORP is proud to be of service in your time of need. This proactive planning will make certain we are there for you. Should you need further information on what we are doing to ensure you receive the great service you have come to expect, please feel free to reach out to the Member Services Team at 844-986-2705.
Virginia Association of Counties Group Self-Insurance Risk Pool (VACORP) is here for you. We know the complexity of the risks facing school divisions. In today’s world, those risks become increasingly daunting. Your educators, school staff, and administration face enormous pressure to meet the demands of educating our future leaders while providing a safe and effective atmosphere to do so. We take that obligation very seriously.
VACORP provides coverage to more school divisions and county agencies than any other provider. Because of our strength in numbers, we provide a way to spread risk among numerous like entities. This gives you predictability of claims, targeted risk controls, and a best-practices approach to making sure your every need is considered.
VACORP was established in 1993 at the request of Virginia counties seeking an alternative to the insurance marketplace to provide coverage and risk services to local government entities and school divisions across the Commonwealth. In 2013, the Bureau of Insurance approved the merger of the VSBA Insurance Pools with VACORP. The merger resulted in a stronger and more robust insurance program that benefits the participating school divisions.
Because of our member-ownership model, members not only have a stake in the pool’s success, but also have representation at the decision-making table. All members are encouraged to share ideas about new and different coverages. VACORP constantly strives to create products on the cutting edge of demand to ensure that members are covered, no matter what the needs may be. VACORP wants to be the one-stop provider of risk coverage and services for all Virginia school divisions.
VACORP Contact Information
1819 Electric Road Suite C
Roanoke, VA 24018
VACORP School Division Coverages
- Property – Written specifically for Virginia public schools under a “special form,” meaning all perils are covered unless specifically excluded
- Equipment Breakdown – Covers a wide range of equipment such as air conditioning and refrigeration, boilers, and pressure vessels
- Inland Marine – Covers trailers, boats, and other movable and specialized property, as well as miscellaneous equipment
- Crime – Covers crimes committed by employees and volunteers, including losses of money and securities from failure to faithfully perform duties, as well as forgery and computer fraud
- Auto – Covers all vehicles you own, as well as hired and rented vehicles for member business
- Educator Legal Liability – Provides coverage in the event of a claim or lawsuit alleging a wrongful act by an educator or staff member
- General Liability – Provides the broadest protection and defense for schools against allegations of bodily injury or property damage
- Student Accident – Provides secondary medical expense coverage for student injuries sustained during supervised school-time activities, physical education, extracurricular activities and field trips. Coverage also available for interscholastic athletics.
- Catastrophic Student Accident – Fills coverage gaps for catastrophic claims of middle school athletes, high school athletes practicing out-of-season, and catastrophic claims related to all school sponsored activities, events, and programs.
- Cyber Risk – Provides coverage due to network security breaches that may include hacking, malware, viruses, social engineering, and online privacy matters like identity theft and ransomeware attacks.
- School Security Risk – provides coverage for weapons assaults, abduction, extortion, hostage or similar threats
- Workers’ Compensation – Provides the most affordable and responsive workers’ compensation program available. This includes telephonic nurse triage with automatic claim reporting service and prescription first fill program
- Volunteer Accident & Sickness – Coverage available for volunteers injured while under the direction of the school division
- Excess Limits – All coverages can be customized with increased limits beyond the standard limits
- School Security Officer (SSO) Liability – provides liability coverage for armed or unarmed SSOs employed by the school division
2023 Risk Management Award Winners
Eleven Virginia school divisions were recognized in the Excellence in Risk Management Awards presented by VAcorp at the VSBA Annual Convention. VAcorp provides coverage and risk management services to school divisions, public entities and related organizations across the commonwealth of Virginia. Click here for the full news release.
Less Than 5,000 Students – Richmond County Public Schools, Middlesex County Public Schools, and Rappahannock County Public Schools
5,000 – 10,000 Students – Louisa County Public Schools
More Than 10,001 Students – Williamsburg-James City County Public Schools
Less Than 5,000 Students – Page County Public Schools, Sussex County Public Schools, and Winchester City Public Schools
5,000 – 10,000 Students – Manassas City Public Schools and Augusta County Public Schools
More Than 10,001 Students – Fauquier County Public Schools
“It is an honor to recognize school divisions that are excelling in risk management and are emphasizing safety, injury prevention and an overall management of risk,” said Dr. Lee Brannon, Director of Schools of VAcorp, “Providing continued guidance for the implementation of best safety practices in Virginia schools is our goal.”
For questions regarding the various lines of coverage, services, invoices, membership documentation, website guidance, certificates of insurance, please contact:
Lee Brannon, School Specialist, email@example.com
Michael Thornton, School Specialist, firstname.lastname@example.org
Carrie Gilbert, Member Services Specialist, email@example.com
Stephanie Heintzleman, Member Services Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
Chris Carey, Administrator, email@example.com
Risk Control Services
For questions regarding risk control services, please contact: CCarey@riskprograms.com
Chris Ballard, Risk Control Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Mike Rezac, Risk Control Consultant, email@example.com
For inquiries relating to claims, please call 888-822-6772
Reporting – Property and Casualty claims, including student accident and automobile claims, are reported using the website www.vacorp.org. For guidance in reporting claims or login and password assistance, please contact Member Services at 844-986-2705.
Reporting – Workers’ Compensation claims are reported using the toll free Company Nurse on Call Nurse Triage and Claims Reporting Service. For information about this service, please contact Scott Neal, Cost Containment Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
Hybrid Disability Program
For information about this program, please go to http://www.vacorp.org/hybrid-disability/.
For information about the Billing Services provided by VACORP, please contact email@example.com
FREE VACORP Online Training Program- SafeSchools
In an effort to increase safety awareness, VACORP has secured a FREE online training program at no cost to members. This program includes the required courses of First Aid, CPR, and AED training and is available to your staff any time of day. This will save the school division costs normally associated with training, such as travel, time out of the office, and registration fees.
Please contact Chris Ballard, Risk Control Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information
SafeSchools creates a web portal unique to your school division and provides employee access to the 11-course bundle.
We hope that you will take advantage of this free training opportunity, available to your entire staff as a VACORP member benefit.
SafeTeachers.com Training Videos
National School Bus Safety Week
National School Bus Safety Week is the third full week in October each year. Click here to view some tips to help highlight this week in your local divisions.
Held each year during the third full week of October, National School Bus Safety Week is a public education program designed for school leaders to publicize the importance of school bus safety. Here are the upcoming themes:
2021: Can’t Touch This – The Danger Zone!